Steamed Chicken with Mixed Veggies- NOT TAKEOUT!2012-11-29
- Cuisine: Asian
- Course: Entree
- Recipe Type: Easy Entertaining, Gluten Free, Lactose Free, Paleo, Poultry, Protein
- Ingredients: Chicken, Coconut Aminos, Red Pepper Flakes, Soy Sauce
A note about equipment: I have a 3-tiered steamer from the company Deni (Deni 3-Tiered Stainless Steel Steamer). It has three stackable, plastic tiers. I know that some people shy away from plastic, so you are welcome to use a bamboo steamer or stackable metal pots. If you use a different tool, play around with the time. I do recommend the type of steamer I have though. It is SUPER easy to use, and came with cooking time suggestions for different food items. I did a quick internet search, and they tend to run from $30-40. Not too bad! The first meal I made in our new apartment was actually hard boiled eggs in the steamer! They came out perfectly!
Serve this with Cauliflower Rice if you want to truly follow the standard entree and rice pairing that is typical in takeout.
- 1 pkg boneless skinless chicken breasts ~about 2 lbs. (or your choice of protein)
- ANY VEGGIES YOU WANT!
- Option 1: bag of frozen mixed veggies (garden stir fry, asian style etc.)
- Option 2: Bok Choy (baby bok choy is my favorite)
- Coconut Aminos (to replace soy sauce)
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Sesame oil to taste
- 1. Rinse chicken, pat dry
- 2. Cut chicken breasts into small strips or bite-sized pieces
- 3. Place chicken on first two tiers of steamer (If using a 3-tiered steamer)
- 4. Place frozen or fresh veggies on top tier
- 5. Set time for 20 mins… you can always add more!
- 6. Serve with a little coconut aminos, sesame oil and red pepper flakes.
- 7. Get your chopsticks ready!