Healthy Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken2017-07-09
- Cuisine: American, Asian
- Course: Entree
- Recipe Type: Comfort Food, Easy Entertaining, Gluten Free, Lactose Free, Paleo, Poultry, Protein
- Ingredients: Bell Pepper, Carrots, Celery, Chicken, Chicken Thighs, Coconut Aminos, Fresh Ginger, Garlic Cloves, Honey, Raw Honey, Soy Sauce, Vinegar
No matter what stage of life you are in, I’m sure there are moments in your life when ordering take out is preferred to cooking your own meal. One of my favorites is Chinese food. Usually ready to pickup or be delivered within 30 minutes, delicious, and never light on protein and veggie combinations. I always love trying to put my own spin on my favorite dishes (try my version of Steamed Chicken with Mixed Veggies here). Everyone has their favorites, but no one is more set in their order than my Dad. You don’t even have to show him a menu; he will order cashew chicken every single time we get Chinese takeout. I’m not mad about it though, because I’ve never regretted stealing a bite from his leftovers. The stir-fried restaurant version isn’t as healthy as my in-home slow cooker version. So, if you can be troubled with a few minutes of prep-time, this fix-and-forget-it dish is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Cashews will never be Paleo, but they will always be delicious. So if you have a sensitivity to cashews or are adhering to strict Paleo, you can sub the cashews with chopped or sliced almonds.
Time-saving tip: Wash/chop your veggies in advance.
- 2 pkg organic boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, trimmed and cut in half
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1/2 cup unsalted chicken broth (or low sodium if you use unsalted cashews)
- 1 tbs raw organic honey
- 2 tbs ginger paste (sold in refrigerated section)
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 1 tbs sriracha sauce – Steve’s Own makes a paleo version
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup green onions, diced
- 2 cups baby carrots, cut into bite-sized pieces (I cut them into thirds)
- 2 cups celery, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 bell peppers, diced into bite-sized pieces – about 2 cups (I used yellow and orange)
- 2 cups dry roasted cashews (salted or unsalted – I used the former)
- 1 1/2 – 2 tbs of arrowroot powder (functions as a thickening agent in place of cornstarch)
- 1 tsp pure sesame seed oil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- 1. Place veggies (carrots, celery, and peppers) and chicken into the slow cooker, stirring to evenly distribute ingredients
- 2. In a separate bowl, whisk together soy sauce (or coconut aminos), chicken broth, vinegar, sriracha sauce, garlic, and green onions
- 3. Pour sauce over veggies and chicken mixture in the slow cooker and mix well
- 4. Cover and cook for 3 hours on HIGH or 5-6 hours on LOW
- 5. Remove lid and add cashews, sesame seed oil, and arrowroot powder, stirring well
- 6. Cover and cook for another hour on HIGH or 2 hours on LOW
- 7. Uncover, stir, serve, and enjoy!