Slow Cooker Leg of Lamb2012-12-06
- Cuisine: Greek
- Course: Entree
- Recipe Type: Comfort Food, Gluten Free, Lactose Free, Lamb, Paleo, Protein, Slow Cooked
- Ingredients: Carrots, Celery, Lamb, Spaghetti Squash, Yellow Onion
I know that some people feel strongly one way or another about joining a club like Sam’s or Costco (please don’t be offended if I don’t name them all). As a military wife, I already belong to an exclusive club… and whether or not you consider the Commissary a perk, you most likely still have to supplement your shopping there. My husband and I had been members of Sams in the past, and he renewed his membership while in Afghanistan because they would deliver K-Cups to Kabul. While in Georgia, it is my source of well-priced wine, select produce, and you guessed it: leg of lamb! I discovered it while browsing their meat section, and it was one of the few proteins that was packaged in a size that didn’t require four fridges or 18 friends to justify buying it. I bought a three-pounder, then scoured the internet for good ideas. I found a website-wish I could remember the name- that mentioned Trader Joes leg of lamb. We do not have a Trader Joes nearby! Sadness. However, she did mention the spices that were on their lamb. That’s all I needed. This is DELICIOUS! Throw some veggies in the slow cooker to swim in the delicious juices. I even served it all over spaghetti squash to make the meal go further. Enjoy!
- Leg of Lamb (mine was 2-3 lbs)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp rosemary (1/2 tbs fresh, chopped rosemary)
- 1/4 cayenne pepper (more if you like it spicy!)
- Yellow Onion, cut in quarters
- Celery, thickly sliced
- Carrot, thickly sliced
- 1. Rinse lamb and pat dry
- 2. Rub spices over the outside, coating the lamb
- 3. Place lamb in slow cooker
- 4. Chop veggies like carrots, yellow onion and celery in “rustic” sizes (about an inch thick)
- 5. Add chopped veggies to the slow cooker
- 6. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours
- 7. Serve as is, or over spaghetti squash to soak up all the juices!
- 8. Enjoy!