Paleo Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken
I had an extra packet of chicken breasts in the fridge that I wasn’t sure what to do with. I came across the Ancho Chili Marinade in one of my recipe binders, and decided give it a try. I changed very little about the spice “rub,” instead using what I had on-hand. I would have made this recipe with double the chicken (2 packages of chicken breasts), because one package left us with no leftovers! 🙁 So if you use two packages of chicken, simply double everything else.
I know that there is plenty of marketing out there for “cooking for two.” Even though I’m only cooking for me and Taylor, I practically double every recipe I make (as you may have noticed, my recipes often result in a lot of food). Whether or not you are a big eater, I think having leftovers is crucial. Having options for a lunch or dinner later in the week really cuts down on the amount of cooking you have to do overall. Additionally, most recipes can freeze well, so if you have a family member that finds leftovers uninspired, you can unveil it again in a few weeks.
I served this with a Chipotle-style version of my Cauliflower Rice. Chipotle Mexican Grill uses a basamati rice with cilantro and lime. I had some cauliflower rice leftover from another recipe. Just add lime juice and fresh or dried cilantro to evoke the food memory of Chipotle’s rice. The first time I made this I didn’t have any limes on hand, so I ended up using a few spoonfuls of canned tomatoes with lime and cilantro. I put both the “rice” and chicken on top of a salad with fresh bell pepper onion, tomatoes, and Spicy Wholly Guacamole. The more textural contrasts you have, the better! I dressed the fresh veggies underneath with a simple balsamic and organic olive oil dressing. Not bad for a homemade “burrito bowl.” If you want to add a little non Paleo flavor… refried beans and a few tortilla chips go very nicely.
- 1 pkg boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 tbs coconut oil, melted (5-10 seconds in the microwave should do it)
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ancho chili pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- 1/2 lg red onion, minced
- 2 bell peppers of any color, chopped (divided)
- 1. Rinse chicken and pat dry
- 2. With a pair of kitchen scissors, cut breasts into small chunks and place them in a large bowl
- 3. Chop onion and one bell pepper, and mix into chicken with hands
- 4. Mix cumin, ancho chili pepper, chili powder, salt, black pepper, oregano in a small bowl
- 5. Stir in garlic and mix in oil to make a paste
- 6. Add spice mix to chicken and massage into chicken evenly
- 7. Place chicken in slow cooker, and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, chicken should fall apart easily
- 8. Serve with the chopped, uncooked bell pepper for extra crunch
- 9. Enjoy!