Paleo Scotch Broth2013-01-27
- Course: Entree, Side Dish, Soup
- Recipe Type: Comfort Food, Gluten Free, Lactose Free, Lamb, Slow Cooked
- Ingredients: Carrots, Celery, Coconut Oil, Lamb, Turnips
I turned this into a slow cooker recipe because the original had a step-intensive complicated cooking process of making a broth, straining the broth, then composing the soup. I don’t like the idea of using vegetables for flavor, then “discarding the vegetables and seasonings.” By placing all the ingredients in the slow cooker from the beginning it cuts down on preparation time and melds all ingredients and flavors.
I was initially nervous about the turnips because I had never cooked with them before, but the long cooking process makes them extremely tender and I could not detect any bitterness. Turnips are also a part of the brassica family (cabbage and mustard) which are known for being high in vitamin c and containing cancer-fighting properties. All the more reason for me to cook with turnips again!
After the low and slow cooking process, the meat should easily fall off of the lamb shank. When cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bone, separate it into small pieces, then add it back into the slow cooker without the bone. Also, make sure to remove the two cloves from the onion and discard them. Then you can separate the onion so its flavor and texture distributes evenly throughout the dish.
This dish can be a one-pot meal, or I have served it with my Paleo Roasted Parsnips and Carrots for a little extra veggie goodness.
- 1 lamb shank (1-2 lbs)
- 1-2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups beef stock
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 whole yellow onion
- 4 large carrots, diced
- 4 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 medium turnip, julienned (thinly sliced)
- 1 leek (white portion only), thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or 2 tbs dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil on medium/med-high heat
- 2. Brown lamb on both sides then place it in the slow cooker
- 3. In drippings leftover from lamb in skillet, place leeks and cook for 2-3 minutes until slightly caramelized, then add to slow cooker
- 4. Add water and broth to slow cooker
- 5. Insert cloves into onion, and add onion, carrots, celery, turnips, bay leaf, parsley, rosemary, thyme, sea salt, black pepper to the slow cooker
- 6. Cover and cook for 8-10 hours on LOW or 4-5 hours on HIGH
- 7. Enjoy!