Paleo Kale and Mushrooms2013-02-05
- Course: Side Dish
- Recipe Type: Easy Entertaining, Gluten Free, Lactose Free, Paleo
- Ingredients: Coconut Oil, Garlic Cloves, Kale, Mushrooms
Not only did I decide to place most of the drippings on the bottom of the slow cooker to create a little hot tub for the pork, but I also decided to reserve a tablespoon or two to make a side dish. I had a small bunch of kale in my fridge, and a container of mushrooms that I hadn’t yet decided what to do with. From experience, I knew that I couldn’t let the mushrooms go unused for too much longer, especially since I purchased the already rinsed and sliced (they are huge time savers but spoil quicker than whole mushrooms).
The pork dish I was making had mustard in the glaze, so I decided to use that same mustard with the kale and mushrooms. With only a few simple ingredients, it was a match made in heaven! I also served it with a side of Paleo Roasted Parsnips and Carrots. All of the roasted and earthy flavors paired perfectly with the pork!
This dish is easily made vegetarian by substituting coconut oil for the pork fat.
- 1 small bunch of kale, rinsed well and large stems removed
- 1 tbs pork fat or coconut oil
- 1 (8 oz) container of mushrooms, rinsed and sliced
- 2 tbs brown mustard (I used Inglehoffer Original Stone Ground Mustard)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- optional: red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1. Heat fat in large nonstick skillet on medium/med-high heat
- 2. Add mushrooms and cook for 1-2 minutes until starting to shrink/soften
- 3. Add kale pieces, and cook for another 5 minutes or until tender
- 4. When kale is tender, stir in garlic, mustard, salt, and pepper until well-incorporated
- 5. Turn off heat, and let flavors meld for another 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally
- 6. Enjoy!