Paleo Dutch Baby (Puffy Pancake)2012-12-13
- Course: Breakfast, Snack
- Recipe Type: Comfort Food, Gluten Free, Lactose Free, Paleo
- Ingredients: Almond Meal/Flour, Egg, Honey
This was one of my first Paleo experiments. I love the Food Network, and one of my favorites is Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. I saw an episode where a diner specialized in Dutch Babies (Puffy Pancakes). The pancakes looked like they were a mixture of cake and pancake. I wanted to see if I could create a similar taste and feel. I googled Paleo dutch baby and looked at a few different recipes to get ideas. The result was a success.
It certainly wasn’t as “puffy” as the one on the show, but there was no leavening agents in the batter. However, allowing the batter to blend until foamy does help the eggs get a little volume. I was extremely happy with my addition of cinnamon. It definitely made the slightly sweet pancake a little more complex and satisfying. There was no need to add syrup on top, but I’m sure it would be tasty if you were looking for something to smear some fruity preserves.
The beauty of this dish is that it has both savory and sweet elements. It paired nicely with scrambled eggs. I’m sure the batter would even accept a few crumbled of bacon if you chose to toss some in the batter before baking. That was actually another pancake idea that I gathered from a more recent episode of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. If you want to experiment with adding meats, I would start with something light and delicate like bacon so that it doesn’t weigh down the batter. Have fun experimenting!
- 2-3 tbs orangic butter (or coconut oil)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup almond meal
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbs raw honey (or organic maple syrup)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- 2. Melt 2 tbs organic butter (or coconut oil) in cast iron pan
- 3. In a blender, mix coconut milk, 3 eggs, vanilla, honey, almond meal, cinnamon, and salt until foamy
- 4. Pour batter into cast iron and bake in oven for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown
- 5. Optional: When out of the oven, melt 1 tbs butter over top of pancake
- 6. Enjoy!