Paleo White Chicken Chili in less than 302012-12-17
- Cuisine: American
- Course: Entree, Soup
- Recipe Type: Comfort Food, Family Recipes, Gluten Free, Lactose Free, Paleo, Poultry, Protein
- Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Coconut Oil, Yellow Onion
I have trouble passing by a rotisserie chicken display without grabbing one. Admit it, they always smell like they were slow roasted in heaven. Even if I have meals planned out for the week, I often end up with one in my cart. The good news? It can stand alone as a great protein choice for dinner. The better news? They can easily assist you with making a recipe that would normally take at least twice as long. The best news? Usually they are under $7! I can get one at the Commissary for $5.99, but got one at Sam’s Club yesterday for $4.99… and it was large and beautiful! With that one bird, I made two delicious soups! Please also check out the Quick Paleo Thai Chicken Soup.
This recipe was originally made with white beans. In this recipe, I had half of a large container of sliced mushrooms left over from making a Paleo Stir Fry for breakfast. I wanted to see if just the mushrooms with some diced onion would add enough to make it a heartier soup. I absolutely think it works. However, if you like, it is delicious with a can of drained and rinsed great northern beans. I also found a can of garbanzo (chickpeas) that I believe would work really well because they won’t get as mushy as many types of beans. However you decide to put your spin on it, I hope this recipe gives you the confidence that you can throw together a delicious and comforting meal in mere minutes!
- 2 cups of chopped skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
- 1-2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 box (4 cups) low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 container sliced mushrooms (rinsed)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cilantro leaves
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- Optional: 1 can of white beans (navy, cannelloni, northern beans, garbanzo beans)
- 1. Heat coconut oil in large pot or dutch oven
- 2. Add onion and mushrooms, cover, and saute for 5 minutes
- 3. Add chicken broth, scraping pan to loosen brown bits
- 4. Add spices: garlic powder, cumin, oregano, cilantro, and red pepper stirring well
- 5. Add chicken, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes to let flavors meld
- 6. Enjoy!